Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Looking Back...

With Rob and I's one year wedding anniversary approaching, I thought that it would be fun to look back at our relationship and how it all began.  Most of you know this story already, but hopefully this is new to a lot of you, and it will be fun for me to go through it all again!

Rob and I first met in the Fall of 2003.  I was a young and impressionable freshman at the University of Florida, and Rob was an older man on campus... a junior.  If you are familiar at all with big SEC schools, then you know that the whole fall semester is devoted to college football, and I was just starting to learn all about this when the first gator game was upon us.  (Even though I grew up in a very athletic household, football was not something that I cared too much about, and I didn't really know too much about Gator football, even though one of brothers had already graduated from here.  I guess should have been paying more attention to Jorge when he would talk about the gators!)  So back to Rob and I... The gators had just won their first game of the 2003 season against San Jose State University (I know big win!!), and it was time to celebrate!  Since I had just started pledging Kappa Delta earlier that week, I thought that it would be a great idea to go out with some of my new pledge sisters.  I had no idea what to do after a big win, so I kind of just followed along with my new friends and ended up at the Sigma Chi house.  I would soon find out that after every gator win, pretty much every fraternity house will throw a big party.  So here I was, a freshmen, entering a fraternity house not really knowing anyone, when a nice, polite gentleman approaches me.  He noticed that I was wearing Rainbow brand flip flops, and pointed out that he was wearing them too.  (I know, what a pick up line!  How could I honestly fall for that!!)  We then started to talk about living in Florida... I was from St. Petersburg, and he lived in Tarpon Springs for a couple of years (for those of you that don't know your Florida geography, these two cities are pretty close to one another). We chatted for a couple more minutes about who knows what, and that was the end of that! 

Fast forward a couple of weeks later....

The first sorority date function was approaching rapidly, and every girl was supposed to invite a guy to be their date.  Again, not really knowing anyone and pretty clueless on how this whole date function thing worked, one of my new sorority sisters said that she could find me a date.  I was pretty excited that I didn't have to worry about asking someone, but also worried about who I would be set up with!  Little did I know that she would set me up with the Rainbow flip flop guy!  On the day of the date function (the theme was cops and robbers) I went over to some older KDs house to wait for my date there.  When Rob showed up in his Sherlock Holmes outfit, I just knew that we were going to have so much fun together, and of course we did!

After taking Rob on my first Kappa Delta date function, he went as my date for every single one after that!  What a lucky guy, huh??  We definitely had a blast together in college and will never forgot all those moments together.  Who would have thought that I would meet my husband the very first weekend at college!

One more thing... I still wear those same rainbow flip flops that I was wearing when we first met!

Our first date function together!  Rob has Sherlock Holmes and me just wearing black... I'm not a costume person!

Another picture from the date function.  I love Rob's magnifying glass!

Gator game together!

No comments:

Post a Comment