Friday, February 18, 2011

A Tale of Two Pinot Noirs

Ahhh... Wine.  Why are you so good to me?  I must get my love for wine from my mom.  As they say, "She get it from her momma."  Whoever said that, you are right on the money!  First I would like to start by saying that I am not an alcoholic. I just love a nice glass of wine (or two) every now and again.  Okay, now back to my tale of two pinot noirs!

Since my husband and I are young newlyweds and just starting our lives together, we don't always have a lot of money to spend on items like wine.  You can normally find me perusing, the bottom shelf in the wine aisle at Publix.  I hardly ever buy anything from the top 3 shelves.  So, whenever we come across a good bottle of wine, we always try to remember that one for the future. 

The bottle on the left is one that we continually buy and love.  This is the Mirassou Pinot Noir.  This one usually costs between $7.99 to $9.99 depending on where you buy it and if it's on sale.  Then there is the bottle on the right, Frei Brothers Pinot Noir.  Let me start out by saying that we NEVER buy this bottle of wine ourselves.  This particular bottle was given to me for my birthday by some really good family friends.  When they gave me this bottle, my mouth practically dropped to the floor and I could hardly stop smiling I was so happy!  I had been told a few years back by my best friend's father, who is a wine connoisseur, that if you ever get a bottle of Pinot Noir that says Russian River Valley on it, then you know it's excellent.  Since I've had this bottle before, probably at the expense of my parents, I knew how good it was, and I knew that we had to save this for a special occasion.  This isn't your Tuesday night wine that you drink with leftovers!!  So I'm sure you are wondering when did we drink this wine (since the bottle is empty in the picture)??  We opened it on Valentine's Day, and it was a great addition to our fabulous dinner!

So, if you are in the market for a nice bottle of Pinot Noir that is affordable... go with the Mirassou Pinot Noir.  If you are trying to impress the in-laws or have the money to splurge on a fantastic bottle, go with the Frei Brothers Pinot Noir.  I promise you that you won't be disappointed.  Both of these wines are very good, but they both bring something different to the table (literally!). 

Anyone else have any good bottles of Pinot Noir to recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment